Saturday, August 8, 2009

School days: first and last

Another one of our Sumsion family traditions is to take pictures of the kids on the first and last day of school. It was a little trickier getting Tyler to cooperate now that he was in 7th grade, but I played the "please, for your mom" card and promised to make sure the coast was clear so no one would witness his embarrassment.

Here's Tyler on the first day of 7th grade (September 2008):

And the last day of 7th grade (June 2009):



Notice the absence of the glasses? Tyler finally got his wish of contacts, and has had no problem making the adjustment. I kind of miss the glasses sometimes. After seeing him in the glasses for 5 years, the sans glasses Tyler took a little getting used to. Plus, I think he looks older without the glasses. My little baby's growing up! (That was just for Tyler's benefit. heh. heh.)

McKenzie was in 3rd grade last year. She and Elise started at a brand new elementary school, Grove Elementary, built just a few blocks down the road from us, which meant goodbye buses and hello feet (as in walking--we walked to and from school when weather permitted). This year was a bit of an adjustment for McKenzie because she left most of her friends behind at Pinewood. She did manage to make some new friends (like I knew she would--we're talking McKenzie here!) and ended up having a good year, I think. Her teacher, Mrs. VanDuren, could not say enough good things about her. That's always great for a parent to hear.

McKenzie's first day of 3rd grade:

And last day of 3rd grade:
























Elise started first grade last fall. She was excited to finally be going to school all day. (Wait, maybe that was me.) The beginning of the year had a bit of a rocky start--her class was one of a few who started the school year without a permanent teacher. I guess that's all part of starting at a brand new school. But within three weeks she got her teacher, whom she loved (Mrs. Franco), and ended up having a great first grade year.

Elise's first day of first grade:

And last day of first grade:


Notice the addition of the glasses? I thought maybe one of our children might escape the Sumsion vision genes. I suppose there's still Sydney, but I don't hold out much hope. Elise sure looks adorable in her glasses, though.


All of the kids did very well in school this past year, as usual. Only one more month until school starts again!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

He does look older without his glasses! I kind of miss them, too. :( My little nephew's growing up! *snort*

Elise looks great in her glasses--as does McKenzie, of course--as will Sydney also, I'm sure. :)