Friday, March 5, 2010

Tyler goes to school

Tyler does his homework on his laptop and then e-mails it to me so I can proofread and print it.
He likes to get cute with his subject lines:

“OH YEAH! KOOL-AID!”

“STOOPEED BOOK REEPOORT THEENG”

“Fridge”

“SOOSHAL STOODIES PAPEER LALOOLOOOLOLOLALALLAOOOLAOALOLAOOLLLLLAOOAOAL”

“SOCIAL STUDIES CRAP”

“BUTTS”


And apparently he’s counting on me to read over his assignments carefully because he’ll embed all kinds of nonsense in the middle of his work:

2.) Jimmy was a man, he was a man with a dream. He dreamed of eating leprechauns while they slept, and punching jaguars. Jimmy was a scary person. Sometimes he locked up cats in boxes and threw them at the ice cream man. Then the boxes exploded, and cats would fly in every direction. The ice cream man didn’t like Jimmy. The cats like the ice cream man though. They stick to him with their claws like an opossum on a Christmas tree. It was funny. Sometimes the ice cream man would say bad words, and the mama potato would have to cover up her baby potatoes’ ears. If those baby potatoes heard just one of them one time they’d be yelling it across the neighborhood for months, so it’s best to make sure their ears are covered when Jimmy throws his cats at the ice cream man.


Sometimes he’s less subtle:


His social studies class did a unit about checks and balances, which culminated in a major paper they worked on in segments. For one assignment, they had to write their lead paragraph for their teacher to review.

Me: Did you turn in your lead paragraph?
Tyler: Yeah, Mr. C said it was good.
Me: Did he give you any suggestions—anything you need to fix?
Tyler: No, he didn’t actually say anything. He just kind of read it and then set it back on my desk and moved on to the next person.
Me: And this is the same as him telling you it was good?
Tyler: Well, he didn’t say anything bad.
Me: How often do you lie to me?
Tyler: I don’t know. It’s not like I’m keeping track.

I don’t bother to keep track either.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

hilarious!

Kara Lohberg said...

Gah! I miss you guys.

Mary said...

Okay, I almost died laughing when I read that. The story about Jimmy throwing his cats at the ice cream man cracked me up, especially the part about the mama potato having to cover her baby potato's ears because the ice cream man said bad words. HILARIOUS!