Monday, September 29, 2008

Sydney is three!

So Sydney turned three this past summer. (It was July 31--two months ago--but better late than never, eh?)

Here's something I wrote for her on her birthday:

There goes my baby

Sydney is three today! My baby isn’t really a baby anymore, and I’m not sure how I feel about that. It’s been such a joy to watch her grow and become her own little person with her own likes and dislikes, joys and disappointments, ideas and opinions (believe me, she’s got some opinions). I’ve loved watching her experience all of her firsts—her first step, first taste of chocolate, first feel of grass under her toes, first trip to the beach, first time seeing a real live elephant (that was exciting!)—and I’m looking forward to all of her firsts still to come. But I’m also realizing that all of her firsts are my lasts, the last times I’ll ever watch a child of mine experience her firsts. Bittersweet. Sigh. Bittersweet.

We started the day out with Syd's first trip to Build-a-Bear where she chose an elephant.


She stuffed her...





and did the little routine with the heart that goes inside to make sure her animal is extra fun and loveable...




and air-bathed and brushed her...



and dressed her.


The kids all had a great time.




Later she opened presents with a little help from Elise.




She brought in a pretty good haul...





and had fun trying them out.



Then it was time for birthday wishes...


and blowing out the candles...




and, of course, digging in. She requested the chock-wit cake.




Nate was out of town on business, so we had to celebrate without him. He felt bad, but I assured him Syd wouldn't really notice, and was at least too young to hold it against him. (Now if she were a few years older, that would be a different story. Nate was in Italy for McKenzie's sixth birthday and she still brings it up, even at non-related birthday times.)

It was a really good birthday. Now if I could just get her potty-trained.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

I love that picture of her with her presents! She looks so delighted there and in front of the chocolate cake.

Pam said...

Hi guys!! I just popped in on your blog and thought I would say hi!!

It looks like she had a great bithday!!

Rhett just turned three on the 7th of October. We spent his B-day in the hospital, but we celebrated it this last Sunday with my mom and Kristie.

Your kids are beautiful, and it's cool that they are the same ages as mine.

I hope all is well.

P.S. I'm not some creepy stalker...just Nathan's cousin from Utah!! ;)