Monday, September 8, 2008

Attainable goals and our first week of September

Since starting this blog in June, I have posted a whopping eight times, five of those occurring in June. I've decided to make a goal to post at least six times in September, which would nearly double my existing entries. How hard could it be? After I'm done with this one, I'll only have five more entries to go. Totally doable, right? Totally. Snort.


The kids seem to be settling into school just fine with only a few minor hiccups. McKenzie loves her 3rd grade teacher, Mrs. VanDuren, and I've certainly been impressed with what I've seen so far. Her first assignment was to decorate a composition book that would become her writer's notebook. She was to use magazine cut-outs or pictures or anything flat that could be pasted on the cover and that represented something about her or something that was important to her. I'm making a mental note to take a picture of it. She did an awesome job, and it looks great. Being at a new school, she does not have the instant set of friends from the previous year that she is accustomed to having. This has been a difficult adjustment for McKenzie, but she is such a nice girl and so fun to be around, I can't imagine it will take too long for someone to realize it.


Due to a ridiculous amount of last minute registrations, our elementary school found itself short a few teachers. Elise had to start off her first grade year with a substitute. Mrs. Martin is a very nice woman and seems to be a great teacher, but being temporary makes it difficult to get the kids into a routine for the year. They are supposed to be getting their permanent teacher by the end of the week. Elise doesn't seem to be too concerned about this, but her real complaint is having to walk to and from school everyday. It's only a few blocks and a short 10 minute walk, but apparently after the demands of a full day of 1st grade, it's a lot to ask of a little girl. She seemed to make a full recovery in time for gymnastics class. She has moved up from her pre-school class to the 6-7 year old "hot shots". Tonight was her first class, and she did great. She has a particular talent for the balance beam and is greatly improving her handstands and backward rolls.


This is Tyler's second year in middle school, so it's really old hat for him. He is learning that he needs to be more responsible. Gone are the days when his teacher asked for assignments to be turned in. Now he's given an assignment and a due date and nothing is mentioned again. He has no problem remembering to complete the assignments, but doesn't always remember to turn them in, which kind of makes the whole completing them thing moot. We're working on ways to make sure that's not a reccurring problem. He has a few classes with his friend two doors down (who is actually a grade below him), and also is able to walk to and from school with him. Neighborhood friends are great. Oh, and I almost forgot! Tyler turned 12 last week (darn--another birthday to post about!) and was ordained a deacon in church on Sunday. How is it possible that a child of mine is now old enough to pass the sacrament? Man, I feel old. I'm very proud of him, but sometimes I wish he'd give this growing up thing a rest.


Sydney had her first play date today. Well, technically I was babysitting, but it was for a girl Sydney's age, and for her it may as well have been a play date. She was in heaven. I was pleasantly surprised at how great the girls got along. I was fully anticipating at least a few minor scuffles over toys, but both were fully committed to the sharing and friendshipping. Sydney was able to play and interact with a child her own age and didn't ask for her sippy cup or to watch Tom & Jerry once all morning. It was a miracle! Sydney lives on a steady diet of chocolate milk and Tom & Jerry, so this was quite a milestone for her. She is already asking when her friend will be back. I'll have to see if I can schedule something before she forgets what friends are. I was all over the scheduling of the play dates with Tyler since he had no siblings to be his default friends. I've gotten a lot lazier over the years, plus McKenzie and Elise have been lucky to live next door to girls there own ages. Sisters and next-door neighbors are very convenient friends. Sydney does have sisters, but they are quite a bit older and there are no children her age in our neighborhood, which means I actually have to make an effort in the friend department. And I think we're all starting to get the idea of my position on this whole "effort" thing. Sigh. But she was so happy today, it must be done!


Last week we had my brother visiting from Maryland. He spent almost the entire week with his girlfriend who lives here (as it should be), but was able to spend Saturday with us. The kids loved playing games with him and his girlfriend. They miss him so much when he leaves. Just tonight Sydney asked about Sam (which was only about the dozenth time she's done so since he left). "Where's Sam?" she'll ask. I'll tell her he's gone home and her response is always the same, "Ohhhh. I miss him. I don't want him to go." Me too, Syd. Me too.


Tyler, McKenzie and Elise giving Sam a farewell group hug:




That's all I've got for now. Of course, there's still our Portland trip and our Seaside trip and Syd's birthday and a trip to Spokane to see my aunt and uncle and a couple of cousins and now Tyler's birthday, which, what do you know, just happens to be five things, and I need to post five more times to meet my goal for the month. Hmmm...I might just do it after all!

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

Dude, I forgot all about him becoming a deacon. That's crazy! You're crazy old!