Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Sydney lets her fingers do the walking


A couple of months ago I had gotten out the phone book for some reason or other and Sydney took to carrying it around and leafing through its pages. I could not understand what the appeal was, but she was happy so hey, whatever. I put it away a day or two later and she moved on to the next thing, which happened to be Tyler's boy scout handbook. O-kay. Well the other day she walked over to the closed pantry and I thought maybe she was looking for a snack, but she asked for the phone book. I got it down for her and she was just so excited. It was like Christmas morning.


I tried to discover the source of her affection for Dex.


Mom: Why do you like the phone book so much, Syd?


Syd: I love the phone book because it’s a big square.


Mom: Ohhh.


Syd: I love reading the phone book, Mom.


Mom: You’re reading the phone book?


Syd: I want to read the alphabet. Look at all these pages. The pages are all smart.


I noticed she paused in the yellow pages section at an ad for Les Schwab tires. She plopped down on her tummy, propped herself up with her elbows, rested her chin in her hands and gazed at Les for a good 2 minutes before continuing her perusal. She was quite distressed when one of the pages ripped as she flipped it over.


Syd: This page is broken. We need to fix the phone book. We need some sticky tape to fix it.


Sticky tape a la Dora the Explorer.



I think I have a good idea what to wrap up for her birthday next month.

1 comment:

Rebecca said...

I love this about Sydney. "All the pages are smart." That is so hilarious.